Your spill kit contents depends on your industry and liquids you come into contact with. You need to ensure your spill kit is compatible with the liquids you are using. Please remember oil (white) absorbents will repel water so are ideal for clearing spills on bodies of water, but would not be suitable for a water based spill.
A typical spill kit should contain:
- A wheelie bin or other type of waterproof wheeled container: Your spill bin needs to be clearly labelled, and easily accessible in case of emergency. Your bin must always contain a full supply of the rest of your spill kit contents and be regularly audited and tagged.
- Personal protective equipment (PPE): This should be appropriate for the potential spill and may include items such as coveralls, gloves, and googles. PPE should be on top of other products within the spill kit to ensure you have easy access to it and can utilise it quickly, to protect yourself before attempting to clean the spill.
- Disposal bags and ties: when you have absorbed the spill, you should collect the used absorbent products in disposal bags. The disposable bags should be suitably tied and labelled and disposed of carefully, within guidelines.
- Absorbent socks: these are flexible tubes made from absorbent material that you should put on the ground, down flow of the spill, to contain it. Be sure your absorbent socks are compatible with the substances you are using.
- Absorbent pillows/cushions: highly absorbent, for a quick and efficient clean-up of spills. Their flexible material makes them ideal for catching drips and run-offs in tight of awkward spaces.
- Absorbent pads/mats: placing absorbent pads over the body of the spill will help to soak up the excess liquid.
Additional items can be purchased as part of your spill control plan, such as drain protection as well as plugging or sealing compound. These are important to prevent the spill from reaching any areas that could spread the liquid and escalate the incident further. These are recommended to be stored in a weatherproof wall mounted holder near to your drains, for quick deployment.
You can also add additional items to your kits if you need additional PPE, or any specific requirements for your business, we would be happy to discuss your requirements with you.